Tuesday, June 1, 2010

beginnings of a journey

I can’t find words for the week we just had. A journey filled with challenges, an adventure that led to two friends laughing, or a frustrating 7 days, that at times had me near tears – either one of these will do.

We cannot yet navigate around this country we know little about, and to top it off we are unable to communicate with the locals – the ONLY ones who can point us in the right direction. Before I moved to Italy, I had not realized how useless English would be in most foreign countries and how crucial a basic knowledge of the language would be. I have had quite the rude awakening. Last Monday we got lost not once, but twice without a cell phone and minimal ways to communicate with the natives. An easy everyday task in the States, such as picking up groceries, has now turned into a blown out adventure. Don’t get me wrong, I love every second of each experience; they just challenge you in ways that you have never been challenged before.

I love the days when you breathe in deep and smile at the moment you are in. Wednesday was one of those days. Sarah and I didn’t even do anything special – except we lived another day in Rome. We walked around Campo de’ Fiori, had a beer in an Irish pub, ate dinner at our favorite local Italian ristorante and all the while, I had to force myself to put the camera down and enjoy the moment.

While the past week have brought ups and downs, they have also reminded me of why I am here. I thrive on being challenged and living in the moment. The moments when you want to throw your map across the piazza and cry with frustration or when you look up during your daily commute, speechless, at the ancient Colosseum.


No comments:

Post a Comment