Saturday, June 5, 2010

Afternoon Italian lessons while cooking.

As I chop up fresh mushrooms, zucchini, and onions in our miniature kitchen, Filly, our 21-year-old female roommate who speaks minimal English, curiously enters. Wanting to know what this American is cooking in their kitchen, she spouts off Italian so fast it makes me dizzy. I look at her wide-eyed and dumbfounded. Quickly realizing I have no understanding of the words she just spoke, Filly holds up a hand and leaves the kitchen speaking more Italian. Moments later she returns, laptop in hand and Google Translator, our new best friend, open with a message to me. “If you want me to teach you how to cook anything, just ask.” I absolutely love to cook and the thought of learning how to make traditional hearty Italian meals from a local, excites me. Nodding my head and smiling at my roommate I respond back that I would like that very much.

Sautéing vegetables, I continue to prepare my meal. Once again she begins to rapidly spit out her mother tongue then stops herself and looks at me, we both laugh. She points to the mushrooms sizzling in olive oil “Funghi.” With my American accent I repeat her, not able to pronounce the ending. She repeats herself much slower this time and I make a second attempt. Smiling and nodding in approval, Filly asks how to pronounce it in English. “Mushroom” I say, trying my very best to enunciate and speak clearly. She pronounces it with a slight rolling “r" sound. Nodding my head I respond "Si!" Smiling, my patient roommate points to the next vegetable and so begins my very first Italian lesson.

Yesterday afternoon, Filly and her cousin gave Sarah and I another Italian lesson. The four of us chatted away in Italian and English learning from each other. While being a beautifully lyrical language, it is not easy and at times I struggle. Similar to Spanish, Italians roll their r's - a trait I have always lacked. It wasn't long until my "r" problem arose and had all three of them trying to explain how to relax my tongue to make the proper sound. Multiple pathetic attempts later, the four of us were in a fit of giggles at my semi-retardation trying to pronounce the Italian "r."

Slowly and with the help of our roommates and locals, I am learning Italian. Italians are both patient and kind in helping us learn their ways. As we do our best to communicate and teach each other proper pronunciations, I find ourselves in heaps of laughter with smiles on our faces - the universal language wherever you may be.




No comments:

Post a Comment